What is the JxJ Teen Film Contest?
We want teens to be involved in the annual JxJ Film and Music festival! For the first time, teens ages 13 to 18 can submit a one-to-three minute film answering the question, “Where do you belong?” The winning filmmakers will receive a $375 gift card and their film will have its world premiere at the annual JxJ festival in May.
There will be one winner from the 13-15 age group and one winner from the 16-18 age group.
You do not need professional film equipment for this contest, but you can use it if you wish! All you need is access to a smartphone, tablet, or camera. Ask your local library if they have equipment that you can use!
Where Do You Belong?
Why do we want you to answer the question, “where do you belong?” It’s because being a teenager is a time of immense growth and change! We want you to think about what this question means to you and then put whatever you are thinking into a short film. Don’t be afraid to tell your story and be creative. You can make the film into whatever you want it to be as long as it relates to the central question. The film can be fiction, nonfiction, or even animation!
Who can submit a video?
Any teen between the ages of 13 and 18 can submit a short video. You do not need to be Jewish and the film does not need to be about Jewish life.
How to submit your video?
You must submit or email a photo/scan of the signed terms and agreement document available here for your film to be considered. Submit your film by uploading your video file to the dropbox link below! You can also send a private link (Youtube, Vimeo, or Dropbox) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submission Date: March 24, 2023!
When Does the Festival Take Place?
The festival takes place May 11th-21st, 2023, throughout the DMV area. The schedule will be uploaded in the near future.
If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to email@example.com.
Student Resources for Filmmaking
Having a tough time thinking of an idea or have no idea where to even start? We’ve compiled a list of resources that can help!
- Phone and Computer applications:
- imovie (Filmmaking Tool)
- ProMovie Recorder (for those who want to experiment with camera settings)
- Magisto (Video Editor)
- Animotica (Video Editor)
- Filmic Pro (Filmmaking tool)
- Open Shot (video editor)
- Windows Video Editor
- Step by Step Process
- Think about the theme and brainstorm an idea.
- Choose your filmmaking style.
- What is the mood? What is the tone?
- Determine the settings, characters, and central conflict or storyline.
- Draw a storyboard of your film.
- Write a script (if you want!)
- Start filming!
- Edit your film using various applications, listed above.
- And when you’re ready, submit!
- Video Resources
- Storyboarding Resources
- Phone and Computer applications:
Storyboard Template Example
Terms and Policies
Rules & Terms of Agreement: JxJ Teen Film Contest 2023
I, the undersigned, as the parent or legal guardian of the minor individual named below (the “Entrant”), and in consideration for Entrant’s participation in a contest (the “Contest) conducted by [_______] (the “Organizer”) in connection with the JxJ Teen Film Festival (the “Festival”), hereby represent and warrant (i) that I am over 18 years of age; (ii) that I am the parent or legal guardian of the Entrant; (iii) that I consent to Entrant’s participating in the Contest in accordance with the terms and conditions set forth herein (this “Agreement”); and (iv) that I am signing this document on behalf of the Entrant. By signing this Agreement, I, on behalf of myself and Entrant, assume all risks and understand that I am responsible for the representations and warranties made by Entrant in this Agreement and for the performance of the obligations of Entrant set forth herein.
- Application requirements
- The Contest is to be conducted by Organizer and is open to all filmmakers in the DMV area (D.C., Maryland, and Virginia) who are between the ages of 13-18.
- Entrant should submit one (1) main completed short film (the “Film”) that Entrant directed and/or animated. The Film should not exceed three (3) minutes in length.
- The submission deadline is March 10th, 2023, by 11:59 PM Eastern Time.
- The Film can be in any style or genre of film and should reflect the filmmaker and their individual style.
- The Film must be in English or have English subtitles.
- Parent or guardian of the Entrant must deliver a manually signed version of this “Rules & Terms of Agreement: JxJ Teen Film Contest 2023” to Organizer (see below under Media Submission Requirements). This signed version can be a photo or scan.
- Media Submission Requirements
- Any video file format is accepted— most common formats are .MP4 and .MOV.
- The Film should be recorded and uploaded in 1080p, if possible.
- Entrant should save its file and upload the Film with the following name: “”
- The parent or guardian of the Entrant must submit the Film either through email or through a link on the Organizer’s website.
- If emailing the Film:
- Parent or guardian should provide a link to the Film and a password, if suitable.
- Parent or guardian should include in the email the following information about the Entrant:
- Entrant’s full name
- Film title and year
- Entrant’s school name
- Entrant’s age
- Contact number and email
- The information provided by Entrant’s parent or guardian will only be used for Contest administration and to contact Contest winners.
- Parent or guardian should also provide a manually signed version of this “Rules & Terms of Agreement: JxJ Teen Film Contest 2023” upon submission. This can be a photo or scan. If the parent/guardian of the Entrant does not sign and deliver this document to Organizer, the submission will be null and void.
- If submitting the Film via the online link on the Organizer’s website: Parent or guardian will be required to provide the same information concerning the Entrant as described above and will be directed to deliver a manually signed version of this “Rules & Terms of Agreement: JxJ Teen Film Contest 2023.” If the parent/guardian of the Entrant does not sign and deliver this document to Organizer, the submission will be null and void.
- What are the reviewers looking for?
- Organizer’s reviewers are looking for films that answer or respond to the question “where do you belong?” They will take all aspects of the filmmaking into account but are mostly interested in Entrant’s ability to answer the question and tell a cohesive, engaging, and unique story.
- Selection, Notification, and terms of winners
- NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER THE CONTEST.
- Winners will be chosen by the end of March and will be selected by Organizer on the merits of each Entry. The winners will be notified by email. Winners will then get more information about the premier of their film at the Festival.
- Organizer reserves the right to reject Entries that includes content that Organizer deems to be libelous, defamatory, in violation of copyright, offensive, harassing, obscene, or discriminatory.
- If a winner does not respond to the email notification within ten (10) business days, another winner will be chosen and will receive the prize.
- Organizer may require the winner to be present for/participate in press, promotional activities, as well as in the premier of their film.
- There will be two winners and each winner will receive a $375 Visa gift card.
- Prizes are non-transferable and are not subject to substitution.
- Intellectual Property Rights Requirements
- The Film, in its entirety, must be the original work of the Entrant and must not be plagiarized to any extent. If music, titles, images, footage, and other copyrighted material not owned by Entrant are incorporated in the Film (“Third Party Material”), it must be properly licensed by the Entrant. This means that Entrant must have permission to use the Third Party Material in the Film and the right to grant all of the authorisations, rights and licenses described in this Agreement . Organizer reserves the right to request that Entrant provide proof of any permissions related to Third Party Material. Failure to show this proof will void Entrant’s submission of the Film.
Terms of Agreement
By submitting the Film,
- Entrant grants to Organizer a royalty-free, fully paid up, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive and fully sub-licensable right and license (the “License”) to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, combine with other works, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, edit and display the Film (in whole or part), including, without limitation, the names and likenesses of any persons or locations embodied therein, and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed.
- Entrant represents and warrants (i) that it has the full right, power and authority to grant the License; (ii) that Entrant has obtained permission to use the Third Party Material, if any, in the Film; (iii) that the content that is included in the Film will not (a) infringe the rights, including without limitation, any intellectual property rights, of any third party, (b) contain libelous or unlawful matter, or (c) violate the privacy rights of any individual: and (iv) Organizer’s use of the Film will not violate any rights of any kind or nature whatsoever of any third party. Entrant shall indemnify and hold harmless Organizer, its successors and assigns, and their respective officers, directors, agents and employees, from and against any and all claims, damages, liabilities, costs and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees), arising out of or in any way connected with the breach of this representation or warranty by Entrant.
- Entrant acknowledges and agrees that Organizer may receive many entries from third parties (“Entries”) in connection with the Contest, and that the Entries may be similar or identical in theme, idea, format or other respects to the Film and other Entries. Entrant waives any and all claims that any Entries and/or other works accepted, reviewed and/or used by Organizer may be similar to the Film, or that any compensation is due to the Entrant in connection with such other Entry or other works used by Organizer or presented at the Festival. Entrant also acknowledges and agrees that Organizer is not liable for lost, late, misdirected, unusable, unreadable or damaged submissions.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE THE WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE IN VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, ORGANIZER RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES AND OTHER REMEDIES (INCLUDING ATTORNEYS’ FEES) FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION.
The undersigned acknowledges that he or she has read, understands, and agrees to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.